Community Introductions (Newcomers Welcome)

Thought it would be interesting and educational if we each do a little introduction so we can get a little more insight about each other. You obviously don’t have to participate but it might help others down the line.

Suggested bullet points:
What got you into Blockchain / Cryptocurrency?

What’s your background in?

How did you hear about MobileCoin?

@Josh @asp @trans @RainerZufall @jeewaka @Odin @toby @robb @brianbrian @BreathingCrypto

5 Likes

I grew up watching videos like Money Masters and Money as Debt. Was hoping that someday there will be a way out of the current rigged system. I freaked out when I heard about Bitcoin.

Design. Graphic Design.

I was talking to a crypto researcher about privacy coins. He asked me if I had heard about MobileCoin. I hadn’t yet so I was eager to learn more.

2 Likes

I got into Blockchain because I read Satoshi’s whitepaper way back in the day and thought it was interesting. I didn’t take it that seriously until well after Ethereum launched.

I dropped out of Highschool.

I started MobileCoin.

8 Likes

I fell in love with crypto after exploring alternative online marketplaces in '13, then found myself operating multiple shitcoin pools and neglecting my family.
Computer science/sysadmin
Took notice from twitter a few years after reading some article on Moxie Marlinspike

Looking forward to running a node/validator for mobilecoin!

4 Likes

Hi! I’m an engineer at MobileCoin. My background includes distributed systems and cybersecurity.

6 Likes

Hello, I’m an engineer at mobilecoin.

I thought mobilecoin would be a fun and interesting place to work.

I have a PhD in theoretical computer science, and I worked as a mathematician in related problems.
I have long been interested in pseudorandomness, and I have since branched out into cryptography.

Josh pitched me on the phone basically. At that time I was already into Signal. I was really interested in the idea of SGX and what it means for real world cryptographic systems. To me, mobilecoin represents a confluence of a lot of really interesting ideas.

6 Likes

Hi Juan, I’m also an engineer at MobileCoin.

There was always an undercurrent of discussions among my peer group, but I didn’t seriously get interested until MobileCoin, because the original paper seemed to show an understanding of a couple concepts I happen to agree with: the proper way to solve distributed systems problems is with distributed systems theories, and: the dichotomy between a fundamental human right to privacy and the pragmatism of everyday usability is an engineering problem, not an ethical one.

I’ve worked in software development and SRE-type roles in algorithmic news, high frequency trading, and a national securities exchange.

A collegue of mine from early open-source project days was one of the first employees of MobileCoin, and he contacted me.

5 Likes

Hello, also a MobileCoin engineer.

I thought blockchain was a cool theoretical idea that was proving to have value in various domains, but I didn’t see many long-term practical deployments. MobileCoin was a project that seemed to answer the question of how to make blockchain usable.

I was a technical director at an animation studio, with a domain specialty in procedural geometry - trees, fur, water, cityscapes. What made it really interesting was that we weren’t just building physics engines, we were building physics + magic engines. I also dabbled in finance and aerospace.

I was working at a hedge fund at the time, and Josh came to give a presentation about the cryptocurrency hedge fund he was running. MobileCoin was a twinkle in his eye, and he talked about building something using the “best hits of cryptocurrency” that would work on mobile devices.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Toby, I work at MobileCoin

I bought some Bitcoin a few years ago, just as a curiosity. During the altcoin bubble I got much more interested in the tech and trying to figure out what all the different projects were doing. It seemed like there were a few good ideas out there but no one had put them together in the right way.

I’ve worked as an engineer and engineering manager for over 20 years, in bioinformatics, machine learning and now cryptography. I’ve also written some technical books.

I was an engineering director at a more established company and knew Josh socially. He contacted me to build a team and it sounded like a really fun opportunity. It has been :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi! I’m Eran, and I work at MobileCoin.

I’ve been following the space since Bitcoin first became a thing. It seemed like the technology could be a solution to some interesting and relevant problems of our times.

I’ve been writing software for 20 years, with a big focus on low level/real time code.

I’ve heard about it through my social network, and people whose opinion I value spoke very positively of it.

3 Likes

Hi Juan - thanks for kicking off this thread. I’m responsible for making sure MobileCoin’s software is as simple as possible. I’m particularly excited to start getting feedback from real world users soon.

My background is about 50% academic physics and 50% early stage startups at this point in my life. I poked at the original Satoshi paper in 2008 when I was a postdoc, but didn’t really appreciate the nuances of the technology, philosophy, or politics until I started at MobileCoin about two years ago and really sank into the details.

5 Likes
  1. Awesome to see how many MobileCoin engineers are on the forum

2. @juan this was a good idea

I had a co-worker that got me intrigued by the concept. The first coin I bought was Civic. I was mesmerized by the Ethereum block explorer. My three favorite blockchain projects right now are Cardano, BAT and BNB. It’s been a long road for Cardano, but I think they have really smart engineers and they are starting to talk about commercial use cases. BAT is on fire right now. The Brave Transparency reports highlight real volume for BAT and I suspect BAT will move quickly past just tipping content creators. BNB and their plan to move toward a DAO is revolutionary.

I’ve worked over twenty years in a combination of technology support, new technology introduction and technical product management for large commercial projects.

I’ve been using Signal App with my family members for messaging for what seems like a year. As a result, I’ve been following Moxie Marlinspike on Twitter. I first heard about MobileCoin when listening to a podcast that mentioned Moxie and MobileCoin.

Final Introduction Note/Observation: Similar to Signal, I also use Keybase Chat. Keybase is now funded by the Stellar Development Foundation. Every Keybase user account comes with a Stellar XLM wallet with friction-less person to person sending of XLM.

3 Likes

Hi, I’m Joe, and I’m a MobileCoin engineer.

I’ve followed cryptocurrency from a distance since Bitcoin appeared. I remember being in Vancouver in 2014 when I saw my first BTC ATM, and thought that it was a sign of it becoming a very real and
important technology.

I’ve been an SRE for many years, mostly in Ad Tech. I’ve spent a lot of time working at emerging technology companies and building tech teams.

A good friend of mine was an early employee at MobileCoin, and the company happened to have a need for someone with my skills. I was really excited about how the engineering team (and the company overall) operated, and how MobileCoin seemed to be something completely new and different compared to a lot of other cryptocurrencies.

5 Likes

Hi. I’m David. I’m at Yeoman’s Capital, we only invest in decentralized tech (blockchains & crypto) since 2012.

I got into Bitcoin in 2012 after a friend told me about it. Converted all my USD into Bitcoin and never turned back.

I dropped out of college. I started 10 tech companies before I was 30.
I coined the term “Dapps / Decentralized Applications” in 2013.
I funded and created the Foundation for the first ever token sale Mastercoin.
I wrote the informational report on Ethereum during their token sale.
I brought into crypto the people that started Tether, Wanchain, and many others platforms / protocols.
I coined the term “Everything That Can Be Decentralized Will Be Decentralized” as Johnston’s Law.

Josh told me about Mobile Coin at an event.

3 Likes

Impressive @djohnston. Probably takes a legit project in the space for you to get intrigued. Sounds like you are intrigued in MobileCoin.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve always had the same interest. Fast, cheap, honest money for all people.

I’ve on boarded hundreds people onto Signal over the years because I’ve been looking forward to this day : )

2 Likes

I heard about Blockchain back in some IRC channels I used to frequent on Gamesnet or EFnet, I forget. Used to hang around a lot of people in The Scene and heard about it through them. Been a fan of the technology for a while.

Never graduated college but have been in the IT field for almost 20 years. I’m also deep into the music scene.

Heard about it directly from one of the founders and have been intrigued ever since.

2 Likes

A few years ago I heard about this thing called bitcoin. Bought some of it. Later I also bought some of Stellars. I sold it all to pay expenses when I moved to a new home. I think cryptocurrencies are the future, but I don’t think the future of money is bitcoin. Maybe the future of gold, thought.

I’m a radiologist. But I also am into tech and code as a hobby.

When I was reading about stellar network.

4 Likes

After see`ing the affects of the 2008 Economic Fallout. After reading about the motivation behind decentralized currencies, I started doing more research.

IT

https://www.wired.com/story/mobilecoin-cryptocurrency/ … and I have been waiting patiently. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m Brady. I work at MobileCoin.

I first heard about Bitcoin & blockchain from Andy Baio at an early Foo Camp. My interest was in the blockchain technology and its future applications. I completely missed Bitcoin. :-/

I started in product (Microsoft) and then joined O’Reilly Media. Later, I founded both Ignite, a global talk series, & Highway1, hardware accelerator. I co-wrote The Hardware Startup.

Josh told me about his plan one morning and I told him it was awesome. A couple of years later I joined the team.

5 Likes