Daemon does not work: Realy want to participate in the network

Hi,

I really want to participate in the test and main net.

Building works fine (except for SGX - which imo is expected for my CPU).

Starting the daemon (master branch) I get

./start_mobilecoind.sh                                                                                                   [±master ]
Installing mobilecoind from latest mobilecoind-mirror-tls...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   176  100   176    0     0    715      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--   718
100     9  100     9    0     0     23      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--    23

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
mv: cannot stat './mobilecoind-mirror': No such file or directory
Starting mobilecoind
./start_mobilecoind.sh: line 48: /tmp/mobilecoind-testnet/bin/mobilecoind: No such file or directory   

Any help would be highly appreciated. I want to participate with my hardware! :slight_smile:

What a time to be alive. I am so convined that this thing will turn out to be a huge net positive for humanity :smiley:

Hi @bbb - thank you for reporting! We’ve changed our release process a bit so this script is now a bit out of date. We’ll clean it up - what are you currently aiming to run?

My ‘next step goal is’ having a working test-net daemon and wallet.

My ‘next to next step’ would be to be able to join the main network such that I can share mobile coins with my brother and a couple of friends that I maybe got excited in the recent time.

I want to be able to routinely build and install wallets for people such that we can actually use mobile coin and see and understand it in action.

I’m not sure where the problems I experienced are originating.

A question that is not clear in my head:

Should I use the master branch for the test-net? Should I use the release branch for the test-net? Which branches are for what?

Cheers,
bbb

Played around some more.

Building on debian bullseye fails at

Compiling mc-test-vectors-definitions v1.0.1-pre1 (/tmp/mobilenode/test-vectors/definitions)
error: failed to run custom build command for `mbedtls-sys-auto v2.18.1 (https://github.com/mobilecoinofficial/rust-mbedtls.git?tag=mc-0.3#8cac1fd1)`

Caused by:
  process didn't exit successfully: `/tmp/mobilenode/target/debug/build/mbedtls-sys-auto-23280cae1bb4d4c8/build-script-build` (exit code: 101)

Building on arch worked fine. Will switch to arch for building, if there’s not better option. What are the devs using? Alpine Linux?

I am assuming that I can use Release Client Update 2021-01-09 · mobilecoinfoundation/mobilecoin · GitHub for interaction in the main net. But have not yet understood how mobilecoind works:

$ ./mobilecoind --version
mobilecoind 1.0.0
$ ./mobilecoind --help
Illegal instruction

A help text would be nice for useability.

When I figure more things out, I’ll try to summarize usage somewhere.
Or - if someone could direct me to the appropriate documentation - if it exists - that would be even better :).

Cheers

PS:

$ ./mobilecoind --version
mobilecoind 1.0.0

That should actually b 1.0.1 in my case (it’s from the above linked release…)
Anyway. I’ll go back to bed now :smile:

For me to get it built I had to remove the bits about skylake in .cargo/config.