How long does syncing usually take?

This is what I’m seeing:
Syncing account… ⠉ [00:19:12] [>-------------------] 1/2012 (3s)

If that’s block 1 of 2012, then perhaps something is wrong? That 3s also never changes. Hope this is normal :pray:

1 Like

Still the same:
Syncing account… ⠦ [01:20:57] [>-------------------] 1/2012 (3s)

1 Like

Okay, 12 hours later and that didn’t work. Tried again and am here. Seems like porogress but think that something isn’t quite right:

The local ledger is at block #12. The MobileCoin Network is at block #2020.

Welcome to the MobileCoin TestNet

Syncing account… ⠖ [00:07:55] [>-------------------] 2/2021 (1s)
You are now connected to: 127.0.0.1:4444
Syncing account… ⠐ [00:00:29] [>-------------------] 2/2021 (1s)
email with an allocation of TestNet mobilecoins, this is the master
key that we sent to you. It should look something like:
123xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx123
Syncing account… ⠙ [00:00:28] [>-------------------] 2/2021 (1s)
Syncing account… ⠒ [00:00:27] [>-------------------] 2/2021 (1s)

My MacOS prebuilt syncs up pretty quick, on the order of a minute, same with the linux builds I’ve been experimenting with on digital ocean and azure.

I wonder if the WSL setup might have some strange networking dragons in the mix

1 Like

Yeah when I first synced from block 0 to 2000 took like 3-5 seconds. An hour, something is def wrong.

1 Like

We expect it to take about 3-5 seconds to sync right now. As the blockchain becomes larger it will take MUCH longer to sync. If it’s taking longer right now, you might have a blocked networking port or something? We can help troubleshoot if you post logs.

This gets at the heart of one of the core problems of privacy preserving cryptocurrency systems: how does a user get their balance quickly? One way is to run a full node and check every transaction in the ledger against your view key. That works fine for an individual, but it won’t work for a service provider. Even if you gave your view key to a service provider to check, the service provider would have to check every view key in their database against every incoming transaction (in Big O notation we would describe this as order N^2, which is bad).

The punchline is that every single privacy protecting cryptocurrency has this problem… Until now. We have a solution that we call Fog that reduces it to roughly 1 operation per transaction (O(N)) instead of 1 operation per user per transaction (O(N^2)). We call this Fog, as in a cloud you can’t see through. We haven’t unveiled the design for this, but once we do, you’ll be able to connect to Fog and have just a thin client on your desktop or phone instead of having to download the ledger AND you’ll be able to do that with a reasonable security model for Fog.

Fog isn’t announced yet and we haven’t dropped docs for it, but it’s coming ;).

Cheers,
Joshua

3 Likes

twas something on my machine … no doubt some overkill setting or maybe it was the hostile ISP I’m forced to use :joy: I’m not sure … but it got it up and running on a VPS :v::grin: Turns out it pretty easy … those external guides are rough for a beginner :see_no_evil:

Shame on me for saying this … have never really dug into even the most basic functionality of any of the privacy coins. Have used one like once but have had exposure to most of them so, haven’t the foggiest about the math/tech you spoke about :sweat_smile: but the rest sounds dope a !! And … that was the best, most concise (there’s more to it, of course) explanation on what privacy coins are that I’ve heard … cheers :metal::sunglasses:

I think you did just announce it :ghost::ghost:

:vulcan_salute:

1 Like